Tuesday, September 23, 2014

The inspiration behind Lorraine Inspired.

Welcome to Lorraine Inspired, the blog. Many would guess that my name is Lorraine but in fact, my name is Kathryn. Kathryn Lorraine in to exact without giving away all my secrets. While I wasn't technically name after my paternal grandmother, had my mother not already have my name picked out before she met my father, I most likely would have.

Lorraine is taken from myself. Inspired is from and for my grandmother, a woman who never let the struggles she faced in life stop her from crafting smiles for her grandchildren and using her skills to help those in need.

Lorraine Inspired was originally Little Misc Kitty from January to July of 2014. Unhappy with the name I so cleverly thought of, it took me awhile to pinpoint what I wanted in a name. I had already established a line of colorful and bright painted thumbtacks with the clear intention of sharing a little sunshine with my customers. As I slowly started branching out to magnets, key chains, and jewelry (spoiler for items that will be coming soon to my Etsy shop) I knew I wanted to keep a positive focus on everything I made.

There is nothing that sets me into a more comforting, loving, and positive state of mind like the quilt my grandmother created for me so long ago. As an adult, I still partially take this quilt with me whenever I go somewhere overnight. Made by my grandmother from old sheets and curtains from when my father and his siblings where children and patched countless times by my mother, this quilt is my INSPIRATION.

When I told my mother of my decision for the name change she told me just how fitting she thought it to be. While my creations might not be anything like my grandmother's, the fact that we didn't just give up and waste away doing nothing is our common bond. I started Little Misc Kitty and later Lorraine Inspired out of the need to do something, anything, to turn the negativity in my life positive. While every day is still a struggle and each blow life takes at me, a battle, I refuse to give up. Lorraine Inspired is my inspiration and motivation to stay positive and in my own way, share that positivity with the world, one tiny little decorative thumbtack, push pin, and magnet at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment